This is a slightly sappy senior post, and
I’m ok with that. I finally got around to reading my ballots last night. Part
of me couldn’t quite decide if I even wanted to, but I’m glad I did, because it
gave me a chance to just think for a while.
Yes, I got some of the feedback that can be a little
frustrating for graduating seniors – advice for “next year” or “in the future,”
when I know that I’ll probably never have the opportunity to speak for a panel
of judges ever again. I was frustrated by some of my ballots, but I was also
humbled and encouraged by the number of judges who said “thank you, this is
what I needed to hear.”
I’m glad that I read my ballots, but unless I go back and
re-read them at some point, I’m not going to remember what they said. There are
a lot of details from this tournament and my entire time competing that I’m
pretty sure I won’t remember, but there are a lot of things that I will
remember.
I might remember where some of my friends placed, but I know
that I’ll remember my friend sitting with her arm around me as I waited to hear
extemp semi breaks. I know I’ll remember the people who found me (which is
sometimes no small feat at tournaments) to ask me how my rounds went because
they cared how I was doing. I will remember those who rejoiced with those who broke and were there for those who didn’t.
I might not remember what anyone’s speeches were, but I know
that I’ll remember the meaningful conversations, the laughter, the tears, and the
words of encouragement.
I might not remember any of my debate partner’s jokes
(because not all of them were as funny as he thought :)), but I will remember him
making me laugh.
I might not remember any of the details of any of the world
events that I watched with the same enthusiasm and intensity that some people
watch football, but I will remember laughing, crying, and praying with my
extemp girls. I will remember waking up in the morning to a conversation
between the night owls in the extemp chat, with the occasional comment “Patience
should share her thoughts on this when she gets up in the morning.” I will
remember the running joke about how we were never really allowed to sit next to
each other in the prep room (because we probably would have spent half our prep
time taking selfies and goofing off….)
I probably won’t remember the bulk of my Middle East
research, but I will remember the friend who challenged me, encouraged me, and
kept me accountable in prayer for the people behind the events in the Middle
East that we were both researching.
I know that I won’t remember my draw time, but I will always
remember the extemp lady’s smile, and the fact that she got me a banana out of
judge hospitality that one time that I missed lunch.
I know that most of the judges will not remember my name, my
topic, or even if I was a good speaker. I’m pretty sure most of them will
remember the experience of coming and judging. I won’t remember every impromptu
or apologetics speech that I gave, but I will remember that every competition
room that I went into presented a unique opportunity to communicate with a
panel of judges that were put there by God for a reason – perhaps to hear
something that I had to say, perhaps to hear something that someone else had to
say.
I have been deeply blessed by the friends I met in NCFCA,
and I thank God for each of them. On Saturday evening, I said goodbye to an
incredible group of people. Some of them for the last time ever. Some of them
are still around and I know that I’ll still see them quite a bit. Some of them
I know I’ll see once in a while. But I know that it’s never going to be the
same. I know that my time as a competitor is over, and with that, I’m stepping
into a new stage of life. I’m going to miss my time in NCFCA, but I know that “there
are far greater things ahead than any we leave behind.”
No comments:
Post a Comment